Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and help answer your questions.
Are you available to chat?
I am so sorry to hear about Dirk and all the trouble you have been through.
Unfortunately, this sounds very serious and I don't think that antibiotics and making him walk around are going to fix him.
Neither do I
What do you suggest?
When dogs are neutered... they put suture around the spermatic cords (which are what the testicles are attached to) and then they place the sutured spermatic cord back into the dog. They do this on both sides. Some of the connective tissue in the spermatic cords are actually extension of the abdominal wall muscles. I am very concerned that tissue has become infected and he now has cellulitis (or deep infection) extending up along his abdomen and leg. This might need to be surgically explored and drained... particularly if the antibiotics are not working.
My other concern is that there could be an abdominal wall hernia. Where the spermatic cord enters into the scrotum, there is a hole in the abdominal wall (made up of muscles) that the cord goes through. When the cord retracts after the testicle is removed... sometimes the hole does not close appropriately and abdominal contents can leak out. It could be just fat... which might cause the lump you are seeing, or it could be intestines. If intestines get strangulated through this hole, it can be life-threatening. My guess is your vets took a feel of the area for this, but did not feel it. Sometimes it can be difficult and you need an ultrasound to see what's under the skin.
My recommendation would be to take him somewhere where they can ultrasound him on the weekend, and see if it looks like cellulitis in the swollen areas, or if there is actually abdominal contents under the skin. Both might require surgical intervention.
Now that he is limping, he is in pain. Since he was running a fever, I am concerned about infection... I would not wait until Monday... and I don't know that I would take him back to your vet if they won't tell you anything different.
I would go to a specialty hospital.... one that has an ultrasound and one that has a surgeon on call just in case. It will be a bit more expensive as I believe you would have to go through the emergency service to get evaluated.
Yes, I agree about my vet. My original plan was to try on Monday at a different vet here in town but I was concerned about waiting until then.
I am very concerned, given that it is progressing. Waiting until Monday might be too long.
Do you have a specialty center near you?
Thank you so much for your recommendation. There is an emergency animal hospital about 45 minutes from me. I am assuming they would have the equipment necessary.
I would look them up online and make sure they have the appropriate equipement... i.e. ultrasound and specialty doctors. Some of them are smaller and do not. I'd hate for you to have to pay for 1, and them tell you you should go somewhere else.
If you are near a veterinary teaching hospital, this is also a good choice.
That is what I'll do. I will give them a call first to make sure. Thank you again
You are very welcome. I hope everything turns out ok. I am sorry this happened to Dirk and you. I'll check back in in a couple days to see how things are going if that's ok with you.
I strive for 100% satisfaction and excellent service. If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. A positive rating is always appreciated.
I'll look forward to it
You'll be in my thoughts.
Have a good day.