Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog vomited several times after dinner tonight and is now

My dog vomited several times after dinner tonight and is now very lethargic and unusually withdrawn. He did eat a bit of a clump of grass that had been mowed but, I tried to get most of it out of his mouth. he is breathing fine, no seizures and he has stopped vomiting but, he also won't come when we call him and he usually does. What do you suggest?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to help you with Nero.

Can you tell me if his stomach is gurgling?

Is his stomach distended?

What color are his gums?

If you press on his abdomen does it seem painful?

Does he get any non food items like rawhides, greenies, or people food?

Could he have gotten into something that could bother his stomach?

Joan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for your help. I do not hear any gurgling nor does his stomach seem distended. His gums are pink and black? He does not seem to be in any pain when I press on his abdomen but, he did not like me looking at his gums or pressing on his stomach too much as he walked away from me but, he was not aggressive and did not make any sounds at all. he does have rawhides on occasion but, has not had any for several days. He has not had greenies in a few months. He is currently on a diet of white rice and ground beef as we are trying to find out if he is allergic to poultry (he has had severe ear infections over the prior 6 months but, has been fine without infection most of the summer now). The only thing that might bother his stomach is the grass he may have eaten but, I thought it was a tiny amount if any as I got him to spit out most of it.

Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

Thank-you for the information. A problem like this can occur with a little dietary indiscretion, which in the case may have been the grass. I would withhold any food for the next 24 hours. you can offer water so he does not dehydrate. This is the gold standard for vomiting.To settle his stomach there are several medications that can be used that are over the counter and should make Nero's stomach feel better.

Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) LINK HERE (The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)

Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg),

Rantididine (Zantac) every 24 hours or once daily.)- LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg)every 8 to 12 hours.)

Any one of these medications should help with nausea. If he starts vomiting again or starts with Diarrhea, than at that point I would have him into the Vet. Usually something like this will resolve itself within 12-24 hours is it is dietary indiscretion. If he gets more lethargic, does not want to eat tomorrow, or anything else comes up over night, then I would have him see the Vet in the am or sooner to the ER Vet depending on how bad it gets. I am hoping that he will feel better by morning.

You may want to speak with your Vet about Science Diet Z/D or Purina H/A for an allergic diet while trying to determine what he is allergic to. I usually suggest Natural BaXXXXX XXXXXD which has a unique protein source like Bison which works well with food allergy dogs. Please let me know if you need further help and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues