Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog is a 4 year old, very healthy active pit mix. She had

My dog is a 4 year old, very healthy active pit mix. She had extremely low energy, with a strange cough which the vet prescribed a cough suppresant. This did not work and eventually the cough slowly went away. Since then her energy did not return and she still chokes occasionally trying to clear her through and has mucous in one eye consistently. I have had a full blood panel, and x-rays done. We had changed her routine and thought it might be emotional. Returned her to her full routine ( she works with me in a gym ). She now has a stiffness in a jaw that does not allow her to pick up a toy and she is reluctant to eat. She yawns by pulling her head to one side. I live and work with my dog nearly 24/7. I know something is wrong. Trying metacam for the last few days. Somedays are better, others it does nothing.

Dr. J. :

Hi, wow, I agree something just does not seem right. There are a few things that come to mind. I would suggest that you have your vet run a 4dx test which will test for several tick borne diseasse such as lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, anaplamosis, and heartworm disease. Jaw pain in dogs can be due to lyme disease or a disease called masticatory myositis. Also some Pitts can get a disease called babesiosis but that usually does not cause jaw pain. I would get your vet to first test for tick borne disease and to do a test to rule out masticatory myositis. Both of these are treated with antibiotics but the MM also is treated with steroids. This is where I would start. If this does not help,let me know if he develops any other symptoms. But, I agree, something is not right. Good luck and please let me know if I can assist you further. I will be happy to help in any way that I can. Cheers.