EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

My 3 year old Lhasa Apso is in season and her back legs are

My 3 year old Lhasa Apso is in season and her back legs are really very unsteady. Took her to the Vet who said this was quite common with bitches in season and he gave an injection to end the season early and said she will be fine in a couple of days. Is this common?? She looks like she is drunk

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

I would have to say that this is "not common" - A normal bitch with a normal estrus cycle should not have rea end weakness

EmergencyVets :

Has she been with a male during this heat cycle?

Customer:

No male contact

EmergencyVets :

Any other dogs around her ? Trying to mount her ? Causing a back injury ?

Customer:

No

EmergencyVets :

Is she a very active dog? Jumping on and off furniture? off stairs/ patios?

Customer:

Yes but I have been with her over the last few days 24/7 and haveb't seen any accidents

EmergencyVets :

Sometimes it is necessarily an Accident " per se.. Overtime a dog can do the same small jump multiple times a day and finally it can lead to partial slip in a disc in the lower back and this can cause pain, drunk walking, lower concious proprioception ( knuckling of paws when walking) .. the pain can sometimes be visible and sometimes can take palpation over the spine

Customer:

vet said it was not a slipped disc

Customer:

her temp was 102.9

EmergencyVets :

was the vet concerned at all with an infection? pyometra type situation? Do you recall the injection given ?

EmergencyVets :

The temperature can go up with inflammation from a disc, BUT it can go up for a lot of reasons as well - including infections.

Customer:

he didnt mention an infection - i am now worried about pymoetra but i dont think she has the other symptoms. He gave delvosteron 20ml amd streptacare 100ml

EmergencyVets :

How is she doing today ?

Customer:

bright her usual self but just falling over the place

EmergencyVets :

I would strongly recommend a recheck exam - or EVEN a second opinion would be warranted.. Sometimes a disc may not be visibile or the pain easily appreciated day 1

EmergencyVets :

Falling over all over hte place is very concerning.. And I would have to have a second opinion - another set of hands do a full exam and see if the two match up on thoughts or if they are total opposites.

Customer:

ok do you think I should rest her or allow her to try to walk

EmergencyVets :

I would strongly encourage rest/confinement until the recheck.. Carry her outside - carry her up any stairs. No jumping, and just laying around to rest would be best..

EmergencyVets :

Hope this helps.. Wish I could do a comple3te exam on her myself and possibly x-rays ( looking at spine and size of uterus) Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you have concerns or are not satisfied by my answer.. If no further questions please Rate and Accept my answer.. That and positive feedback are the only way I receive credit for my time.. Take care and good luck. Dr. Chad

Customer:

thank you so much for your time and advice - I will see she is in the morning there is a morning surgery so could take her back