Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dogs eye seems very weird, he is a Maltese and I very rarely

My dogs eye seems very weird, he is a Maltese and I very rarely see the whites of his eyes, but one of his eye balls seems to be moving to the side and more of the white is showing and is very red and irritated. He seem to be fine and does not seem to be in any distress.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

There are 4 main causes of redness to the eyes:

1. Corneal Disease- either an ulcer/ scratch to the cornea or Dry Eye (aka KCS- kerato-conjunctivitis sicca).

2. Conjunctivitis- this is often allergic in animals and typically affects both eyes

3. Uveitis- this is inflammation behind the cornea in the anterior chamber of the eye

4. Glaucoma- this is inflammation of the entire eye, typically due to poor drainage through the naso-lacrimal duct from the eye to the nasal cavity

Typically we’ll stain the eye to look for an ulcer and do a tear test to rule out dry eye as a start. We then look at the eye with magnification to see if there is inflammation behind the cornea. Lastly. we’ll take pressures on the eye to look for uveitis (low pressures) or glaucoma (high pressures).

If you want to try something at home, you can pick up artificial tear drops and place one drop in the eyes every 4-6 hours. This will help keep the cornea moist and healthy. You could also give Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) as it will help with the itching/ irritation. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Patti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hoggie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took him to the vet and it was an eye infection. We were given eye drops for 4 days, didn't think they were working but on the 4th and final day of the drops his eye was back to normal and has been normal since. it was almost like something was "popping out" in the lower corner of his eye because it would come and go. It looked normal and then this irritated looking round thing would be in the corner and his eye ball looked like it was pushed to the side. It was strange but all is great now. Thank you.

I'm glad things are looking normal. It actually sounds like a cherry eye.
Here's some good information on these. When mild they don't need treatment, but constant cherry eyes need surgery.