Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I just talked to dr whitehead on my 10 week old bulldog, he

I just talked to dr whitehead on my 10 week old bulldog, he is sleeping but breathing harder right now, how do I know if he is aspirating
As long as he is peacefully sleeping then he is not aspirating. If he was in respiratory distress he would be awake, sitting up, head and neck will be out stretched as he tries to get as much air as possible. So the fact that he is sleeping is a good sign. I do expect him breath a little heavy since he just started treatment but definitely keep a close eye on him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read lemon juice can sometimes cut thru the phlem is that safe? also after he lets out a big burp he rests a little better especially after drinking water

No please do not give him lemon juice. If this is aspirated it can do a lot of harm. The best thing to do is what you are already doing, steam treatments and gently cupping your hands and hitting his sides. I have actually seen a bull dog that was given lemon juice for this exact reason get extremely sick because it aspirated the lemon juice into the lungs. So please do not do that. The medications he is on and the treatments you are doing already are appropriate at this time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!!!! I will not do that, I am so new at this, you have been extremely helpful!

You are very welcome. You are doing a wonderful job!
Hi Vicki,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is doing allot better today, they took him off the predisone and changed his antibiotic, he has been having nebulizer treatments at the vet, and the breeder had one I used over the weekend...He is eating great and is not lethargic anymore, huge improvement from just yesterday, thanks for your help, I thought I was going to lose him, now its looking allot more promising.

Awesome! So happy to hear he is doing better. If you ever need anything else let me know!