Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi,My dog had diarrhea and occasionally vomiting. she is

Customer Question

Hi, My dog had diarrhea and occasionally vomiting. she is on anti-biotics for over 4 weeks already. but whenever she ran out of antibiotics, her pooh starts getting soft and wrapped with green mucus and sometimes clear muscus. my Vet did blood test and pooh lab examination. Vet told me no tumor indication in the blood test except that her sugar level was low and a few other minor things. in the pooh test, he says large amount of bacterias found. so he advised me that my dog needs to be on a prolonged antibiotics treatment but vomiting was not typical symptoms of the decease and maybe caused by something else. But it has been over 4 weeks already and my dog doesn't seem to get recovered and she loses about 0.4kg every week. also she is on a strict diet I/D science hill cans. two cans a day as advised. Her appetite seems OK. I am very worried that she might have something serious developing. can you please help? Thanks in advance.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're dealing with some underlying disease process as opposed to just an infection. I would be worried about IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or potentially some type of intestinal cancer like Lymphoma. These will not show up on stool or blood tests. You need intestinal biopsies to diagnose these.

I would talk to your vet about either going in surgically to get biopsy samples or using endoscopy to get the samples. If your vet is not comfortable doing these more advanced diagnostics, then I would consider getting a consult with an internal medicine specialist.

If this is IBD, then she'll need steroids and a hypo-allergenic diet to treat. If it's a type of cancer, then surgical removal or chemotherapy may be needed. She's still fairly young, so hopefully it's just IBD. We can't cure IBD, but we can manage it for many years with meds and diet.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It all started after eating a dones. and also she was in a period at that time. She initially started with vomiting and diarrhea. After the vet gave her a injection and some antibiotics has improved the situiation. but as soon as i switch her back to her normal biscuits food, she started throwing up again. So the vet thinks maybe caused of the diet. Then she had another injection without antibiotics for a week. She wasn't having any diarrhea but lots of clear mucus in the stool. So i took her back and from then on, she was on antibiotics constantly for three weeks. she was fine then, until last Friday, she dug the rubbish bin and ate bones again. But the bones were not all digested and came out in piece in the stool. followed by soft stool the next day, then i got more antibiotics from the vet as he insisted that a standard course is 6-8weeks at least. So I am not sure what to do now. She was back on Antibiotics on Tuesday and this morning she felt like vomiting but didn't actually vomited. Should i wait until the antibiotics finishes or take her to a vet right away and ask for those tests? I couldn't understand that if the blood test cant really tell whether there is tumor or cancer why didnt the vet told me about it?

I would probably discuss the biopsies and decide if they want to try antibiotics again or just get the biopsies. I'd lean toward biopsies personally with long history.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So based on your diagnose, most likely it is one of the two IBD or Lymphoma? doe sit need a surgery to get the biopsies? Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, those are my top two differentials. Either surgery or endoscopy to get the samples.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My dog is still on antibiotics and every night she is probably having reflux. why is that?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
If she has one of those conditions I mentioned, the signs will continue despite antibiotics.

You could try an antacid like Pepcid to see if it helps with the reflux. You can give 20 mg 1-2 times daily and see if it improves.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I haven't done the tests you mentioned yet as my vet was not strongly recommending that. He was saying to put her on a prolonged antibiotics first to see. Jackie seems alright with appetites and energetic. the main symptoms of the two diseases you mentioned was losing weight and losing appetites. but she seems doing alright in those regards. I am just wondering could that be something else is causing the problem?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
This could very well be an infection or just gstric reflux. In those cases, some antibiotics and antacids will often help. If the signs don't resolve completely, then I would get some biopsies.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Gary,

I am getting very confused with the condition of my dog Jackie now.

She has been put on Antibiotics for over 8 weeks. and she has some sort of reflux every night at almost similar time. But her stool seems similar condition every day even when she was on antibiotics. The stool has its shape and at the end of it coated with thin/dryish layer of mucus. Now i have stopped the antibiotics last Thursday and her reflux has disappeared since then and she seems less tiring after i stopped the antibiotics. Her appetite is still good. and i am not sure if it is because of the I/D Can food or if i am not feeding her enough. I am giving her two cans every day.

anyway, after the antibiotics, her stool looks the same as before still with thin coat of mucus and looks dark shinny greenish outside. I feed her 4 times everyday and she goes to toilet once a day. I just know something is still not right with the poop. but not sure what it is and vet can only suggest antibiotics. do you have any ideas?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
It sounds like the stool has a layer because she's not absorbing all the nutrients out of the food. This will lead to a stool that has mucous and fat on it giving it the layering look you see.

I would try to start adding a complete diet to the I/D. I/D is not meant to be fed long term. It's not a complete diet. I would start adding a regular dog food and mix them together. That will help get more nutrients into her as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry to be a pain, but my Vet said to me a lot of dogs purely taking I/D. they are designed for dogs having weak stomach or digestive problems. I am not sure if i should change a vet now. I just got lots of that food from the vet thinking my dog might need to take the cans the rest of her life. The coat of mucus is shiny green wrapped around the stool or sometimes just part of the stool. apart from that my dog seems normal. I thought mucus usually indicate a digest system disorder? Do you think i should put her back on antibiotics or maybe 1 tablet a day rather than two? Or do you still suggest to do biopsy in this case? One reason i am not comfortable doing that is because of the operation. I just worried it gonna make things worse.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I use I/D all the time for dogs with GI upset. I just don't like using it for more than a week or two.

I think that mucus is fat around the stool. That fat was not likely broken down and digested higher up in the gut. It may also be secretions from the walls of the colon.

I still think biopsies are needed here. That will give you some answers and direction on how to treat. Otherwise, we're just guessing and throwing meds at her. Dogs do great with the surgery- they bounce back quickly.