Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog a 2 year old beagle mix has decreased energy, less playful.

My dog a 2 year old beagle mix has decreased energy, less playful. He is neutered and his gums are pink. He is eating and drinking and his bowel and bladder habits are normal. He does have seasonal allergies. Since yesterday he seems to have nasal congestion. He is up to date on all his vaccines and heartworm meds. Heartworm test was negative. He sneezed once today and a white discharge came out. He is breathing normal. Should I be concerned?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I wouldn't be too worried here. It sounds like it's some mild allergies causing the sneezing. You should be able to manage this with Benadryl at home.

The dose of benadryl is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours. You can give anywhere from 1-3 25 mg capsules to a 35 lb dog. I would start lower and then go up in the dose if needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the nasal discharged is possibly related to his allergies. When should I become concerned

Yes, allergies can cause sneezing/ congestion in some dogs, vomiting/ diarrhea in some or skin itching and redness in others.

If the benadryl is not helping over the next 2-3 days, then I would get an exam to rule out a nasal infection at that point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thank you......Go StateSmile

You're welcome. Sparty On!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took my dog to a vet because of the increase in his nasal congestion. He prescribed prednisolone 20 mg divided into dosages comparable to a medrol dose pack as well as giving him a steroid shot and an RX for amoxicillin 500mg bid. I was not informed of side effects of the dexamethasone Sp injection. His regular vet was closed. After doing research this evening I am concerned about the steroid. I am wondering if I should continue with the benadryl and possibly a pediatric nasal spray. He is a little better today.

The typical side effects of steroids include: increased thirst, urination, appetite, panting and a pot-bellied abdomen. A short course shouldn't cause too much, but you will see the increased thirst/ urination and panting.

It would be fine to just continue the Benadryl and stop the Pred. If the Pred helps, then it's not a big deal to give a short course over 3-5 days.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His nasal discharge is thick and white and he has received 3 doses of the antibiotic. He is breathing better. Thank you so much!