Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi! I have a 9 yo nuetered male boxer. Five days ago he started

Hi! I have a 9 yo nuetered male boxer. Five days ago he started collecting gunk in his jowls and I cleaned them out. Three days ago, they started bleeding pretty stong. I cleaned with warm wet cloth and put antibiotic cream on and gave him one benedryl. Started to look a lot better, so I continued for three days. This morning he woke up and it was worse then before. What could be going on?

He eats out of a steel bowl, no new toys, and our female boxer doesn't have this issue. Please help
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Is the discharge and from the skin part or outside part of the jowls?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Outside on hanging jowls, and on the outside on his chin (middle)
Ok thanks.

It sounds like there is some type of skin infection. In these bully breeds, we can see skin fold infections. The Benadryl can help some, but you really need to get him on some antibiotics to get this cleared up.

I would use some Cephalexin or Clavamox as a nice broad spectrum antibiotic to get this cleared up. Usually we're dealing with a Staph bacteria that'll cause this.

The other thing that I'll use at times is Malaseb wipes. You can order these online and use them to wipe down the skin and remove some of the bacteria and yeast and prevent infections.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've never used this service before, so do I have to go my vet and pay for an office visit & meds or can you write a script for my dog?
You'll have to get them from your vet. Per the DEA, you have to have a physical exam done on the pet before meds can be dispensed or scripted out.