Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

we have a 13 yr old 88 lb golden retriever who the vet has

we have a 13 yr old 88 lb golden retriever who the vet has diagnosed with doggie dementia. he pants, paces, follows you constantly...all of that it tolerable. he is however keeping us up at night. the vet has him on 2 5mg tabs of diazepam at bedtime. its not working and he's very restless at night getting up and down, trying to get on the bed etc. we've tried putting him in another room only to have him scratch and howl. is there something else or a combination of drugs/sedation that would ensure he (and we) get a better night sleep....? HELP
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Raz is having some trouble.

Is Diazepam the only medication your vet has given?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

other than the levathyroxin for his thyroid....

Thank you. I am a bit surprised that your vet went to diazapam first as this is not normally the drug of choice to treat cognitive dysfunction.
The most commonly recommended drug is Anipryl

In our clinic we also recommend starting a few supplements.
SAM-e and Omega Fatty acids both of which can be purchased in dog specific form or a large dog can take an adult dose of human supplements.

Click here for additional information on treating Canine Cognitive dysfunction( senility)
Link

I would talk to your vet about trying the Anipryl and getting started with the SAM-e and the Omega Fatty acids.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy