Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my 12 1/2 year old cockapoo had an xray yesterday for what

my 12 1/2 year old cockapoo had an xray yesterday for what was thought to be a pulled groin muscle. Reason for the xray was I mentioned to the vet that over the past few months her stomach area felt "firm". Shes an overweight dog and I chalked it up to gas, too much chicken ..whatever..over the past year she has displayed signs of doggie alzheimers..just having loopy moments in general, also prone to her knees popping out of joint. xray revealed a 9cm tumor on her spleen. At the very moment she cannot use her hind legs, I am assuming due to the soreness of the groin. She is drinking and eating as of yesterday and is trying to get around as best she can. Reason why I am reaching out for you is being such a huge tumor would we be putting her through more by having it removed or would we be offering her huge relief..even if for a short period of time. I am aware that the malignancy rate with these are high. If money werent an issue..lets say the surgery was free..and my dog was yours..would you have her undergo the surgery? I just need a straight answer from someone who doesnt know me but is certainly knowledgeable in the field. Thanks
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling well and that she was found to have a tumor.

Spleen tumors unfortunately tend to grow very quickly because of the blood supply in that organ. The malignancy rate is very high...you can read more about it here: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/7zrdl-yorkie-gave-birth-first-pup-8-20am-she-cleaned.html

To exactly answer your question....if this were my geriatric, overweight dog who had other medical issues...I don't think I'd have the surgery. Older dogs and overweight dogs both have a harder than normal time in recovery and since she's both, I worry that the stress of recovering would be more than her body can handle.

If she were my dog, I'd spend our time together giving her lots of treats and love.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa