Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog (8 year old male boxer) was running around in the yard

My dog (8 year old male boxer) was running around in the yard today and seems to have injured himself...we can't tell if it's his leg or his neck....when he gets up, he yelps and he doesn't seem to want to turn his head, but he's also limping and whimpering. He ate dinner as usual but seems to be in a lot of pain. We gave him some left over Rymadril (sp?) to help with the pain, but am wondering if there's anything else we can do. Perhaps a hot compress on his neck?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I'm sorry to hear that Oscar seemed to have injured himself today. It's always hard to tell where exactly the injury might be, but from your description, it does sound like he may have pulled a muscle in his neck.

The Rimadyl was a good idea since it's an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) and will help with both pain and inflammation.

If you think that he'll tolerate a warm compress on his neck, you could absolutely try that. I like using a warm cloth, but make sure it's not so hot that you risk burning him. If he doesn't want you to use the compress, that's fine to because rest is the best thing for him.

If he's not feeling better by morning, you should give your vet a call. They'll be able to take a peek and have a better idea of what is causing Oscar to be uncomfortable, and they'll also be able to send out additional pain medications to help him feel better while he heals. Since he seems relatively stable, I don't think you need to rush to an emergency vet in the middle of the night, just calling your vet in the morning should do the trick.

I hope he's feeling better soon!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?