Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My vet is recommending a gastropexy during the spey of my 6

My vet is recommending a gastropexy during the spey of my 6 month old lab. Seems aggressive. Not sure what to do. Thoughts?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I agree this does seem a bit aggressive especially in this breed can you tell me if

Has she had any problems with bloat in the past?

Did they say why they were recommending this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is only six months old so nothing in the past. They are recommending it because she is a big dog.

Ok. I would get a second opinion on this. This is something that some vets may recommend for a Great Dane and or Weimaraner ( as bloat is more common in these breeds) but that is not common to suggest this,and in 26 years I have never seen a vet recommend this for a lab with no history of bloat.

While possible bloat is not something we see often in this breed. Again I would suggest a second opinion before doing this as in my experience this is a little overboard and not something that would be normally recommended.

In most cases a gastropexy is only done if a dog has an episode of bloat.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.