Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Have a Pom and she has not had a bowel movement in 3 days?

Have a Pom and she has not had a bowel movement in 3 days? what can I do to help her..she is 5 1/2 yrs old.......
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your girl is having trouble passing stool. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Has she had any vomiting?

Does she ever eat things she should not toys. clothes etc?

Other then the constipation is she having any other problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Answers to all are NO.....

Thank you .
I just wanted to be sure because eating things that they should not can result in a blockage in the digestive tract and make them unable to pass stool.

There are a few things you can do to help with simple constipation.

Some things you can try today to help get her going are:I would choose one of the following
* 1'4 cup o of whole milk. Most dogs are lactose intolerant and Milk will get them going
*1 teaspoon of mineral oil can be added to canned food.
* 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin daily
* Metamucil- 1 teaspoon in canned food twice daily
*Miralax can be used as well. This should be given at a dose of 1/4 of a teaspoon( again with canned food) once daily.
* Milk of Magnesia 1/4 of a teaspoon twice daily.
* Colace 1/2 of a 50mg tablet.

I hope this helps. If she does not go in the next 48 hours I would give your vet a call to make sure there is not a medical cause for the constipation.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy