Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Hello, my name is Kathy. I gave my dog advantix II 48 hrs

Hello, my name is Kathy. I gave my dog advantix II 48 hrs ago. He's licking his backside and feet. There is also a spot on his back that makes his leg kick like he is being tickled, and when I lightly stroke his back, his skin will like "crawl". He's wimpering a lot. I also have to say he has been playing roughly w/other dogs (and getting more than his share of knock downs) so I am wondering if maybe his back is bruised or something. Anyway, if he's having an allergic reaction to flea treatment, could all these symptoms be connected. The dog is a Schnoodle, 4 yrs old and about 18 lbs. Thank you for whatever help you can give. Kathy [email protected]
Hello Kathy, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

What you are seeing regarding the kicking of the leg and the skin on the back movement is very normal and are just reflexes, similar to when a Doctor taps your knee in a certain spot and your leg moves. Tis is nothing to worry about.

The licking of the paws can be a sign of allergies, usually seasonal, or it can be a sign of nervousness, but I would suspect allergies first. Here is more on seasonal allergies.

I am concerned with what you mean by backside. If you mean he is licking the spots where the advantix was placed on him then that can make him ill as it is a pesticide, if you are talking about licking around his anal ares then that can be a sign of an anal gland problem. These glands are located on the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions on either side of the anus and they are usually expressed with a bowel movement, but if the stool is soft then sometimes the glands are not expressed that way and a trip to the vet may be needed to express them. If the area is reddened or swollen at all then I would take him to your vet. If you are a brave soul you can express them at home but it is a messy job:)

Here is more on the anal glands

Anal sacs : expressing anal sacs: directions