Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi Candy, We recently got a puppy (4 days ago) and he is

Hi Candy,
We recently got a puppy (4 days ago) and he is 8 or 9 weeks old. He got his first round of shots the first day we got him, and the vet told us not to take him out so he doesnt risk catching parvo. We have been taking him out for very quick walks just to start potty training him as we live in an apartment. The vet also gave us an anti-viral liquid med to give him as precaution for 10 days. We also showered the puppy today for the first time.
He eats dry food 3 times a day, but i have noticed that he does not really chew it. My dad also gives him treats (whatever he's eating) which i know isn't right but he keeps doing it.
In the past 2 hours, he threw up 3 times. The first time it was more of a regurgitation, since the vomit just came out of his mouth. It was brown (color of dry food) and in a lump of unchewed food. The second time it was more of a throw up, with his body contracting and the same color came out but more liquid. The last time, his body was really trying to force the throw up, but all that came out was saliva and a little black dirt thing. Im assuming he ate when we took him downstairs.
He is his normal self mostly, now sleeping. He was running around after he threw up. His breathing is a little fast though, i dont know if this is just now or has always been this way.
He pooped today and it was normal, no diarrhea. My question is if this could be parvo? Is it something I need to worry about? What could be wrong?
I've never had a puppy before so i'm worried about something happening to him. I'd appreciate your help, thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

Do you know what they black dirt thing was that he vomited up?

What types of human food has you dad given in the last few days?

Where did you get him?

Does he stay only in your yard when you take him out to potty and are there other puppies that go in the same area.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

- the black thing might be a tiny piece from the bamboo like furniture or it could be something he ate outside, like a piece of wood. it was very tiny though
- He gives him anything he's eating, crackers, cookies, chicken, cheese. Small quantities though. I don't know if he did today.

- A guy that works for us gave him to us. His friend's dog gave birth.

- It's not our yard. We live in a building and we take him downstairs to the side of the street. Cats live nearby, but i haven't seen any puppies.

also, he was just twitching a bit in his sleep. I don't know if that means anything.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Ok just a few more questions I apologize.

Was they vet you saw your own personal vet or the vet that the person you go him from uses?

When did he eat last?

Do you have any honey or pancake syrup in the house.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

- the vet is my personal vet

- He ate for dinner about 10 hours ago, but i dont know if my dad gave him anything after that

- no honey or pancake syrup!

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Ok
I just wanted to be sure it was your personal vet since putting them on anti viral as a precaution is not something I have seen a vet do unless other pups in the litter had parvo.

I want to address the twitching first this is very concerning a pup this young and this small can not go 10 hours without eating they have to eat 4-5 small meals a day or they can not maintain the proper glucose levels. When they do not eat often enough the glucose levels drop and this can lead to twitching, lethargy, shaking, vomiting, seizures and even death. You will want to get a product called nutrical to keep on hand with a pup this small. Since you do not have honey or pancake syrup we have to get some sugar in him to elevate the glucose levels. Can you please put a small amount of sugar in his mouth now. Just wet your finger stick it in the sugar and either let him lick it or rub it on his tongue and gums. Do this every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes.

The vomiting can be a sign of parvo so you want to keep an eye on him. However this can also be from the recent change in diet since you have not had him that long, the human foods , intestinal worms or what he ate outside. Make sure your dad knows that some human foods are toxic to dog and others can cause problems such as pancreatitis so I would not give to much human food or any at all other then boiled meats.

I would soften his dog food with a bit of water or chicken broth for a few weeks since he is not chewing well and make sure you keep a close eye on him when he is outside so he does not eat things. Eating things outside could lead to a blockage in the digestive tract and there is a risk he could get something toxic.

I would try to get some sugar in him right away. Wait 2 hours and then try to feed him something bland such as boiled hamburger or chicken, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg.

Again it is really important that he not go more then 6 hours without food.

If he is not better tomorrow and is still vomiting I would have him seen by the vet again. If he continues twitching after the sugar or becomes so tired you can not wake him or has any seizure like activity I would get him in tonight

Please keep me posted on how he is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will ll be happy to help.
Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Im not in the US, im in Lebanon so the time difference is 7 hours forward. He had his last meal at 9 pm my time and now its 6 am, so he will be eating in an hour? I read that I should only give him food 3 times a day?

Also, are his chances of getting parvo decreased because of the antiviral? I'm scared about this, but he doesnt have any diahrrea or anything like that.

I will give him sugar right now, but please let me know for future reference if i am supposed to feed him between 9 pm and 7 am? Also, i thought sugar was bad for dogs?

And one last thing, is it okay to take him out to potty train him? or am i risking it too much before his second round of shots?

Thanks!

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Ok What you read is incorrect he can be fed 3 times per day after 6 months of age then 2 -3 times per day after one year,

Yes his chances of getting parvo are greatly decreased with the anti viral and as long as there are no other dogs and he is just going out to potty that is fine.

I would get sugar in him now do not wait another hour if he is already twitching.

I know having a puppy for the first time can be scary but I will always be here if you need me
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nidale,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Joey. How is everything going?

Candy