Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Yesterday I peeled a 2x2" patch of hair off my dog, it just

Yesterday I peeled a 2x2" patch of hair off my dog, it just came off like a scab, a layer of dead skin cells and his fur, underneath is a big bald spot. It looks like I could've peeled off more but I stopped. My dog is a 9 year old Italian Greyhound, he always had some alopecia on his back but it wasn't too noticeable....the bald spot now is very noticeable. What could be causing this?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your boy is having some skin problems. This breed is predisposed to Exfoliative dermatoses which can cause scaly skin patches of hair loss and alopecia. There are many things that can cause this the most common being.
* Low thyroid or other hormonal disorders, Hypothyroidism is also a known health problem in this breed.
* Allergies
* Vit A or Zinc deficiencies
* Diabetes
* Cushings disease
* Infection and or parasites.
Click here for additional information

Trying to diagnose exactly what the cause is without seeing him and doing some testing would be impossible.

I would suggest having him seen by your vet or better yet a veterinary dermatologist for a possible skin scraping and blood work.

I hope this helps give you some things to discuss with your vet. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.