Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

i put flea medicine on my dog , then i noticed some on her

Customer Question

i put flea medicine on my dog , then i noticed some on her groin so i put some medicine on my finger and dabbed the fleas on her groin , now she is swollen between her legs and in discomfort , will this go away ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX i am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear madison is not doing well. What flea medication did you use and how long ago did you give it?

Customer:

Ii was advantix from the vet , i bathed her first and noticed fleas on her groin between her legs , i put medicine on my finger and dabbed them to kill them , a little while later she was in distress and i felt between her legs and she was swollen , i bathed the area twice and she is still swollen , this was last night about 7:30 pm

Dr. G. :

I see. have you used the advantix on her in the past? Did you wait 2 days after bathing before applying?

Customer:

Yes , I used it 2 months ago and she was fine , no I bathed her and was trimming mats on her groin then noticed the fleas , she was even still damp from the bath ,

Dr. G. :

I see. Typically we want you to wait 2 days before and after applying before the dog gets bathed, otherwise the product tends to not work as well. As far as the irritation in the groin, it could be that there was a reaction from the advantix down there as it is not meant to be used that way. However it could also be a combination of irritation from shaving and the medication. Some dogs will get a reaction on the skin within 24 hours, but typically it resolves within 24 hours of appearing. If it still has not resolved within 24 hours of when it first popped up, she will need to see a vet for medications to decrease the reaction.

Dr. G. :

the bathing of the area is what the manufacturer recommends, which you have already done. If it is not gone in 24 hours, then she may need a short course of steroids to decrease the inflammation

Customer:

Can the swelling go down on its own ?

Dr. G. :

It can sometimes resolve on it's own, but it usually takes about a day. If she is really licking at it a lot, then the self trauma will likely stop it from healing on its own. If that is the case and she won't leave it alone, I would get to the vet today

Customer:

What will they do ?

Dr. G. :

Give her medications to stop the reaction

Customer:

Thank-you

Dr. G. :

you are very welcome.

I wish you the best with little Madison. Hopefully the reaction will stop on its own very soon. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great day!

Customer:

So she has to leave it alone , if she does not, it will not go down and then I will need to take her to the vet by tonight ?

Dr. G. :

Yes. If she does not leave it alone, it will not improve, so it would then be best to take her to the vet

Customer:

Thanks again

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 11 months ago.
The area in Madison's groin is very delicate skin and can be irritated very easily. If you have not already done so washing this area with cool water (not cold or warm) will help wash off the flea control and also help take the heat and irritation out of that area. I am not sure of the type of topical flea control you were using but most of the higher quality topicals have a carrier in them so you do not need to apply anywhere else on body except along neck and back. Please be careful with some of the over the counter topicals as they can be very irritating.
If washing that area with cool water does not get her relief, then I would take her to your vet as soon as possible to avoid a serious burn or skin infection in that area. Best of luck to you and Madison!