Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi. I am fostering a dog who is being treated for heartworm

Hi. I am fostering a dog who is being treated for heartworm and is currently on the 30 day regimen of doxycycline. He gets 275mg bid. I had about 4-8 left in the bottle, which he managed to get down from the counter and eat. Can anything bad happen?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Domino got into the medication.

Thankfully Doxy is not a medication that would cause concern as far as toxicity goes. This dose can however cause some vomiting and diarrhea so I would watch for that.

If she has any vomiting you can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0,25 mgs per pound to calm her stomach.

Other then some vomiting and or diarrhea I would not expect to see any serious complications.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great. Thank you.

You are very welcome. I hope the rest of the heartworm treatment goes smoothly. Please give him a good pet from me
Hi Shelley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Domino. How is everything going?

Candy