Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My St. Bernard is 11 years old and has a lot of sores on his

My St. Bernard is 11 years old and has a lot of sores on his body. He has not been able to control his urination so he lies on a wet bed. However, sores are appearing on his ears, head and in areas that he is not lying on. They vary in size and are weeping. Others have become hard. I try to wash him everyday with mild soap and dry him immediately. He sleeps on an egg-shape container like mattress. How do I prevent further occurence of sores?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Gordo is having some problems with sores. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

Have you had these sores looked at by the vet , if so what testing was done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These sores appeared over a month.

Yes, I have consulted a vet who said they were urine burns which I thought could be the reasons cause his bed is wet every night as he has difficulty getting up. He recommended calmosestine ointment which I have not been able to get from the local pharmacy.

He initially recommended Triderm which is what I am applying now. However sores keep popping up in different parts of his body.

Thank you for the additional information.

Sores appearing in the area where urine comes in contact would make sense if they were only in these areas. What you are describing sounds more like a bacterial infection that is spreading or something such as Pemphigus which is an autoimmune skin disease. Click here

Since these are spreading to other areas of the body I would suggest having him reexamined by the vet and I would ask that they get a sample of the substance that is oozing out of the sores either be placed on a slide for viewing or that a sample be sent to the lab for a culture.

Until you can get this done I would clean the areas as much as possible twice daily with antibacterial soap preferably either chlorhex or Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea rinse well then apply the ointment.

I would try however to get this looked at a second time or ask for a referral to a dermatologist as soon as you can.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have read up on pemphigus. Gordo's sores do not itch (he does not scratch) and are not painful (he does not complain when we clean them) They don't scale either. Some swell and others are flat but increase in diameter. The swollen ones ooze blood and the flat ones seem to have a clear fluid appear on the surface.

I read somewhere that using Betadine makes it cure longer so I have stopped using that and hydrogen peroxide to clean it.

Not all types of Phemphigus are itchy which is why this is often overlooked. It is fairly easy to diagnose by looking at the tissue and fluid under the microscope. At the least I would have a culture done of the fluid to find out if any exactly what type of bacteria is growing.

Peroxide does hinder healing Betadine does not. One other thing you could try using on the sores is Manuka honey. Not regular honey but a medicinal honey that you get at the health food store. To make it thicker you can mix it with a small amount of white sugar. This helps kill bacteria and is great for healing wounds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok will have lab check on sores and will try the Betadine rinse.

If I recall correctly, Manuka honey is from New Zealand and is quite pricey but will give it a try.

Many thanks for your suggestion and will get back to you with results from lab.

I apologize I did not realize where you are located. I would check on the price and if not to much then I would give it a try. You may be able to find it online at a reasonable price.

I am on everyday and would love to hear what the lab results are. Just come back to this page even after you provide a rating it never closes and all follow up is at no additional charge
Hi Estee Wallace,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gordo. How is everything going?