Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog has peripheral nerve sheath cancer and had radiation

My dog has peripheral nerve sheath cancer and had radiation about a year ago and has been doing well. Lately he was diagnosed with arthritis in his shoulders ( the tumor is in his left hind) and he does not want to walk long enough to pee. It is ok to express urine from him? He is seeing his oncologist on Wednesday to get a complete assessment and to see if the tumor has progressed but in the meantime is it ok to do this? I watched some Youtube videos and actually just tried this out and it worked well.

He also pees on his own but sometimes I can tell he is just not comfortable walking. He is on tramadol and gabapentin for pain right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 10 months ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Shadow. That is impressive that you were able to express the bladder with the help of some youtube videos! Sometimes this can be quite tricky so that is excellent. Yes in the meantime if need be it is ok to express the bladder. Of course if it will not express just continue to apply gentle constant pressure. The worst thing you can do is squeeze harder and harder. Because you can bruise the bladder and worst case scenario the bladder can actually rupture. So definitely just gentle constant pressure like you have been doing with the flats of your hands dont use finger tips as this is more painful and increases risk of rupture. I hope he is able to get some relief. that is great you are willing to do this a lot of owners are not willing to go this far for their dogs. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

another question - if a dog has a normal bladder (not paralyzed or anything) is it still possible to express urine or does the bladder have to be compromised in order for this to happen?

I am really hoping this is not indicating tumor progression. I realize it might be that but was wondering if normal healthy dogs can also be expressed?

I am being very gentle with him - got a good stream a bit ago and just kept it up until I could not get anymore. Hope that cleaned him out. Of course, he loves to mark everything.

He is still peeing on his own as I said, and had a pretty big pee on his own this afternoon when he was more comfortable. Is that a good sign?

Thanks.

Cheryl

No you can express a normal bladder also it does not have to be comprimised by anything. It does not necessarily idicate tumor progression. Tramadol, even though a very good pain med, can cause urinary troubles as a side effect. So i would discuss this with your vet also. It may be necessary to add in or switch up some more pain meds if this is the case. That is definitely a good sign he is peeing on his own and that is good it sounds like you are doing a very good job expressing him. You are very welcome. keep up the good work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That's hopeful. We had just upped the tramadol dose to 25 mg twice a day - he is very sensitive to this drug but it does help his pain. I will discuss with his vet Wednesday.

I am just curious if you don't mind? Why don't vets just do this to get urine samples instead of using a needle?

Thanks again.

Cheryl

Not every patient is easy to express some animals really fight it but i do use this technique quite often to get urine from my patients. So it all just depends on the patient.
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.