Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my lab weighs 55 pounds, she got 100mg mg of hydroxyzine instead

my lab weighs 55 pounds, she got 100mg mg of hydroxyzine instead of 50mg ..any problems
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your girl got a double dose of medication and has you worried.
Thankfully the margin of safety is fairly high with this drug and a dose of 2mgs per pound will not normally cause any problems beyond some sedation. Some dogs can have the reverse effect and can become overly hyper but that is not common.

While we would not expect to see anything beyond some mild sedative effects any dog can have an adverse reaction. I would keep an eye on her for the next few hours. If she becomes so sedate that you can not wake her or has any troubling symptoms then I would have her seen by a vet but I suspect she will be just fine.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All is well.. I'm taking her in for full check-up next Friday..She is getting older and she's our little girl.. Thanks for your help.

Kirk

I am happy to hear she had no ill effects from the double dose of medication. Thank you so much for taking the time to update me and please give her a good pet from me