Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Is it safe to mix Prednisone 10mg with 2mg xanax with a dog?

Is it safe to mix Prednisone 10mg with 2mg xanax with a dog? I had given her, her regular dose of pred 10mg then gave 2mg of xanax a few minutes later, about 20 minutes later she could hardly walk. She has taken this dose before while boarding cause she gets nervous and this issue has never been brought up to me. Gave at home and this happened? 58 lb boxer mix.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX yes it is safe to give both prednisone and xanax together. You may want to try 1/2 the dose of xanax and see if she was just overly sensitive to that time. Its hard to say. if she has the reaction like that again discontinue the medication and speak with your vet. Xanax usually takes 1 -2 hours to be absorbed and see an effect so most likely it was not related to this medication but unfortunately sometimes stranger things have happened. Monitor closely if she appears and is acting normally otherwise. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure whether she has sedative sensativity. she had surgery a few months ago with use of torb diluted ace promazine and propoflo. she had a reaction to one of them tjat decreased her heart rate. it is weird that she has a reaction like this at home and not at the vet. i am in the vet field myself. She is normal tjis evening but has slept most of the day. other symptoms last night seemed to be heighten sense of smell, pacing and ataxia.

Interesting. The pacing, heightened sense of smell and ataxia are all commonly seen side effects/reactions of benzodiazepines such as xanax. I would not expect it so quickly after but it is not unheard of. Previously those medications she had a reaction too are not int he same family but she may have a sensitivity to similar drugs. I would be very careful in the future and start at the low end of doses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i appreciate your help. we were truly worried about her last night. i will try the lower dose the next time it is needed and see what happens. thanks si much. :b)

You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help you. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.