Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

MOST OF THE TIME MY 60 LB GIANT SCHNAUZER 7 MONTHS OLD HAS

MOST OF THE TIME MY 60 LB GIANT SCHNAUZER 7 MONTHS OLD HAS STOOLS THAT ARE FORMED BUT SOFT. THENYESTERDAY MORNING SHE STARTED WITH A FORMED STOOL THEN CAME THE POOP THAT LOOKED LIKE A COW MADE IT BUT IT WAS BROWN. I GAVE HER 15 ML OF KAOPECTATE AND A MEDTRONIDIZOLE 250MG. I DID NOT FEED HER UNTIL 7PM THEN GAVE HER 2 CUPS OF BLUE BUFFALO HER REGULAR FOOD. THIS MORNING SHEHAD NOT BOWEL MOVEMENTEVEN THOUGH SHE TRIED. THEN AT ABOUT NOON SHE HAD 2 SMALL POOPS FIRM. THEN ABOUT 5:30 SHE HAD A SMALL BOWEL MOVEMENT WHICH WAS PRETTY GOOD STILL SOMEWHAT SOFT. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIRM UP HER STOOL?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Bailey is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Was yesterday the first day she has had loose stool?

Have there been any changes to her diet including new foods, treats or human foods?

Is she on monthly heart worm prevention such as heartguard that also covers intestinal parasites?

Other then the loose stool are there any other problems?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

NO THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE ABD SHE HAS BEEN TESTED FOR WORMES ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. NO HEART WORM MEDICINE. NO CHANGES IN HER DIET. NO OTHER PROBLEMS

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

If this happens all the time it may be worth trying deworming anyway. I say this because parasites such as hook worms shed intermittently meaning one stool sample may be negative for eggs and the next positive. If done at the vets office Whip worms will almost never show up unless the stool is spun down. Deworming is so safe that it would be worth trying. You can get a good over the counter dewormer called SafeGuard 8 in one at the pet store or just a pyrantal based dewormer if that is not available. Deworm now and then again in 3 weeks.Parasites are the leading cause of soft stool in young dogs.

Another possibility is that this is due to a sensitivity to the food. While you are feeding a good food some dogs are over sensitive to the high protein or more often to the protein source ( ie, beef, chicken, etc) You may want to try switching the protein source in the food and see if that helps.I would try a lamb or venison if she is not eating one of them.

You can also try increasing the fiber in the diet and see if this helps. You can add fiber by giving 2-3 Tablespoons of canned pumpkin daily or 2-3 tablespoons of bran cereal such as Grapenuts.You can also add some boiled white rice to her food daily to help firm the stool.

Adding Probiotics to the diet can also help. You can get dog specific probiotics at the pet store or use human probiotics such as culturell 1/2-1 adult dose per day.

If deworming and changing the food source does not help then it is possible that you are dealing with something such as IBD and further testing is needed.

I hope this helps please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer