Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

dog has rash and several pimple-like bumps on skin

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information about Lucy's skin? Where on her body is the rash--all over or just in some spots? Is she scratching or licking at the area?

Dr. Scarlett :

How long has she had the rash? Are you using any flea preventative on her?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is this the first time she has had a skin problem?

Customer:

on her belly chest and upper back legs. about 3 weeks. no never had any problems

Dr. Scarlett :

Is she scratching or licking at the areas?

Customer:

licking yes and some scratching. about a month ago I used flea spray around her area

Dr. Scarlett :

It sounds like Lucy has a skin infection. This can be caused by any number of things, but some type of allergy is most likely.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm not a fan of flea sprays, I prefer the monthly topical products like Vectra or Frontline, but from your description I don't think she has a flea allergy. Those usually show as itching and hairloss on the lower back or around the neck and ears.

Dr. Scarlett :

But Lucy is the right age to start showing environmental allergies--it takes time to become sensitized to pollens or grasses or molds.

Dr. Scarlett :

Gold Bond works well for moist areas, but once there is the pimples and rash on the skin, you need oral antibiotics to get it cleared up.

Dr. Scarlett :

You can give Lucy benadryl or claritin or Zyrtec to try and control the itching, but she won't get better without antibiotics. There are medicated shampoos that can also help, but if the area is pretty extensive, baths alone won't clear up the infection either.

Customer:

so what type of shampoo

Dr. Scarlett :

Something like Malaseb or one containing 2-4% chlorhexidene. You may only be able to get these at a vet's office. Lather the skin well, then leave the lather on for 10 min before rinsing off. Bathe Lucy at least twice a week.

Customer:

do I need to go to the vet

Dr. Scarlett :

Probably. Oral antibiotics are almost always needed to clear up a skin infection. The medicated baths can help and nice to have on hand if you start noticing similar problems in the future.

Customer:

alright then, so your saying that this is a normal problem in dogs

Dr. Scarlett :

It is a common problem in dogs, for sure.

Customer:

so no worries then and I guess I will be going to the vet.

Dr. Scarlett :

Correct. I wouldn't worry that it is anything more serious than a skin infection and it should clear up quickly with appropriate antibiotics.

Customer:

thank you have a nice day then.

Dr. Scarlett :

You too!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no more question's, thank you.