Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 10 month old beagle seems to be shivering when breathing.

My 10 month old beagle seems to be shivering when breathing. We haven't noticed any strange behaviour apart from he hasn't been running to the food bowl as normal. Hes only been doing it foe a few hours.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Sherlock is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Can you take a rectal temp?

What was he doing right before this started?

Any chance he ate something he should not have and or does he have a habit of eating nonfood items such as toys, clothing etc?

Any recent changes to his diet including new foods, treats or human foods?

Are his gums nice and pink?

Any change in stools or urination?

Any changes in the house today or thunderstorms in your area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Candy. Thank you for your answer.

In response to your questions:

Sorry cant take a temp.

He was just sitting on the sofa when it started.

No hasn't eaten anything - we watch him like a hawk after he ate an onion a few months back.

We have just changed his food from puppy to adult food.

Gums are nice and pink

No changes in the house.

Thank you for the additional information.

Shaking is most often due to temp, stress and or pain. Anytime a beagle slows eating we get a bit concerned.

If possible I would try to get a rectal temp. Normal is 100.5-102.5 anything over 103 or under 100 requires medical attention.

If you recently changed the food then this could be due to some digestive upset which would also explain why he is not running to the food bowl.

What I would suggest is trying either Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25.mgs per pound every 12 hours or Pepto Bismol at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs every 8 hours.Both will help settle the stomach if this is due to the food change.

I would also try a bland diet for the next 3 days either boiled chicken or hamburger and rice in small meals.

I would keep an eye on him and if the temp is elevated or he continues to shake I would suggest having him seen by your vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy