jennpetvet
jennpetvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian in private practice since 2001. I have a special interest in holistic and homeopathic medicine.
21152729

I have a very old, medium-sized dog. 35 pounds now. He used

I have a very old, medium-sized dog. 35 pounds now. He used to be heavier, around 50 lbs., when he was younger and healthier. He got to the point he wouldn't sleep much at night, so our vet gave us acepromazine. Some time later, he gave us Gabapentin to help give him some rear leg function. When the Gabapentin wasn't doing the job, he added Prednisone. I didn't notice anything with the acepromazine or Gabapentin, particularly, but his head has swollen up, with one eye shut altogether. He has no appetite and is very lethargic. He is also taking Tramadol for pain. Can Prednisone or Tramadol cause this? If not, what do you suspect it could be? We are taking him to the vet first thing in the morning, but want to do what we can now.

Kristen McMahon : Hello,
Kristen McMahon : I'm very sorry to hear about Buster's problems. Neither Prednisone or Tramadol have the side effect of causing facial or eye swelling.
Customer:

OK. He's 16 years old. I wonder what could be causing it.

Kristen McMahon : The most common reason that I'll see in my practice for swelling of the head or eye is an allergic reaction - like an insect bite or sting.
Customer:

Poor thing. Maybe that's it. OK. Thanks!

Kristen McMahon : However, in older dogs it is always important to rule out more serious problems like a tumor as they can occur behind the eye.

I just wanted to check up on Buster to see how he was doing. I hope that all of his facial and eye swelling are gone now.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of any further assistance.