Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a three year old female lab. For the past four days,

I have a three year old female lab. For the past four days, she has been licking at biting her right paw - in between her toes. I have looked at the paw, and it looks fine, but she will not let me look between her toes. She runs away. She has been sleeping a lot and I am concerned that she has an infection. She is eating and drinking. I can't seem to get a vet appointment until tomorrow. My question is, is this an emergency or can it wait until Monday.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Misty is having some trouble with her paw. You are correct in things that this could be infection as often we see both bacteria and fungal infections between the toes.

It could also be some form of bug bite or even something such as a sticker or grass seed( foxtail) suck in the foot.

This is not something that would normally constitute and emergency and waiting until tomorrow should be fine.

You can try soaking the paw in warm water with Epsom salt to see if this helps. A pie pan works great for this. Soak for 5 minutes 2-3 times today.

If some form of bite the Benadryl can help this will however make her sleepy. This can be dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-10 hours.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
Candy
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Misty. How is everything going?

Candy