Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Hi! My dog has a tumor on his neck that was biopsied a few

Customer Question

Hi! My dog has a tumor on his neck that was biopsied a few days ago and results should be in this week. It's suspected to be fibrosarcoma. He was given pain medications and anti-inflammatories to help with the pain. Today, I've noticed it growing and getting dark red. Now, I'm seeing two areas that are tinged with blood. Any thoughts on what I can do? We have been putting ice packs on there. Thanks for your help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Where abouts have you noticed the bruising/color change? Near the biopsy site?
- How does the biopsy site itself look? Are the stitches still in place?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The sutures don't appear to be inflamed or overly red and sutures are in place (to be removed in another week), below and for the other approximately 3" of the mass (total diameter probably 4-5 inches).

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Bobbi

Thanks for the extra info regarding Tanner's mass and biopsy site. It sounds like the biopsy site sounds fine. The redness and swelling of the rest of the mass is likely further development of the tumor. Give the site and location of this tumor, the likely diagnosis is a fibrosarcoma, however there is no point guessing or assuming until the biopsy results are in later on this week. Whatever the case - hopefully your Vet can attempt to remove the mass. From what you have stated regarding the change in the mass over the last day or two, the sooner a removal is attempted, the better.

There isn't a lot else you can do from home at the moment to be honest Bobbi. Hopefully you still have some anti inflammatories for your boy to help with the pain, but if not, I would recommend calling your Vet and asking for another prescription for him if possible. In the meantime, continue with the cold compresses - that was a very good idea. Try not to get the suture line too wet from this, but if you can put the cold compress on the red areas you have spotted, that could help settle any inflammation that exists here, as well as stop any bruising that may be occurring as a result of the biopsy.

Make sure you boy is as comfortable as possible as well, and if he can manage to scratch or lick at the stitches, then you may need to get a dressing put over the area by your local Vet as well.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with Tanner and please keep in touch regarding his progress if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bobbi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tanner. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for asking! Tanner is actually doing better. The morning after I spoke with you, that lump was smaller, but mostly because it popped the skin and drained out a ton of blood and then clear fluid. There is still a mass there underneath and we haven't heard on biopsy yet, but he's almost his old self, jumping up on bed himself, eating well, even playing with the other dogs some, not napping as much.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Bobbi,

Thanks so much for the update on Tanner and great to hear he is doing well.

Keep in touch and let me know if you need any further help once the biopsy results are back.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The biopsy results came back negative. NO CANCER!!! The vet was so surprised and happily! He has myositis and we're treating with antibiotics and antiinflammatories. I just had to share this with you! Thank you!

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Wow! Great to hear Bobbi - you must be relieved. Thanks for the update.

Dr E

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here