Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my boxer ate 2 packages of oreao thinsations and 2/3 of the

my boxer ate 2 packages of oreao thinsations and 2/3 of the unopened box to get to them...should I be worried?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Clay got into the cookies. Pretty typical behavior for a boxer as they always tend to eat things they should not.

Thankfully there is not enough chocolate to cause any serious toxicity problems but it could cause some vomiting. In most cases the thin cardboard will break down in the gut and pass with no problems, but it could bunch together resulting in a blockage.

If you want to reduce the risks of blockage you could induce vomiting. This can be done by giving Hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. MIx with milk or ice cream to make it easier to give. This can be done twice.

If he vomits up the box then he should be in the clear. I would wait 15-20 minutes and give Pepcid AC if you have it to calm the stomach. This is dosed at 0.25mgs per pound of body weight.

If you do not have peroxide or he does not vomit then I would bulk up the diet for a few days to help push this through. You can do this by giving 2 pieces of grain bread, 2 teaspoons of Metamucil or 2 Tablespoons of canned pumpkin ( choose one not all)
I would also feed smaller meals more often for the next 3 days to keep her gut moving. If she normally eats twice daily break that into 4-5 times.

If she has any trouble passing stool, has vomiting that lasts for more then 24 hours, refuses to eat or vomits right after eating these could be signs of an intestinal blockage and she should be seen by a vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Hi Janice,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Clay. How is everything going?

Candy