Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author

can a dog get Athletes foot

I am fostering a 16 lb poodle. I have a chronic case of Athlete's Foot and do not wear shoes in my house. This poodle has begun to chew his feet and has developed a few bare spots on his coat. Is it possible I gave him my foot fungus?

Athletes foot is a fungal disease that is going to be species specific, unique only to humans. As the definitive host that organism is only going to flourish on a human foot, unable to infect and replicate in canine tissues. So you can rest assured the dog did not get Athletes Foot.

However, there clearly is a problem with the feet, likely infection caused by skin allergies. When the lesions are confined to the feet, that usually means that the dog's feet are reacting to allergens that have settled in the grass or the grass itself.

I would advise soaking the feet daily in a warm solution of Epsom Salts for about 10-15 minutes. With a dog that small, the best place to do that would be a kitchen sink filled to the ankle level of the dog.

Next, I would clean the feet twice daily (particularly where the sores are) with Stridex acne pads. You can probably also potentially reduce inflammation and increase comfort by treating Shadow with over the counter Benadryl dosed at 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet, administered three times daily (once every 8 hours) by mouth.

Best of luck and best regards,

Dr. Roger