Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my 3 month old puppies were playing outside and the female

my 3 month old puppies were playing outside and the female started crying loudly. There are no visible injuries but she is wheezing or slightly whining with each breath she takes. We have gently felt her entire body for any clues. The only thing is a horizontal ridge in her throat that i don't recall noticing before. She still turns her head and can stand, but she really just wants us to hold her. We thought maybe she ate a yellowjacket and got stung inside her throat. Does that sound plausible?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Nilla is having some trouble.

Have you offered a treat, any type of food or water to see if she can swallow if not could you try just something very small.

Does this ridge in the throat feel like something could be stuck there such as a rock, piece of stick etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's very likely she swallowed a small stick. She'll lick on a small peice of chicken, but she won't bite it. If there is a peice of wood in her throat, how do we get it loose?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is what I was afraid of when you said you felt a ridge. You can not pull this out if it is a stick. Trying to dislodge this on your own could lead to tearing the esophagus. I know no one wants to here to go to the vet but if this needs to be removed under sedation and with a scope to prevent permanent damage.

I would do this right away as even without trying to remove it this could perforate the esophagus or reposition leading to closing off the airway. Also if she can not eat then there is a risk of her glucose levels dropping in a very short time resulting in seizures and in some cases death.

Without examining her we also have no way of knowing if the esophagus has not already been perforated .I would get her to the ER asap. If you need help locating an emergency facility in your area please provide your zip code.

I wish I could tell you to remove this on your own but the risks are just to high.

I hope she does ok, Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we tried all the vets in the area and their all closed. The closest animal hospital is hours away and we have no way to get there at the moment. She licked at some milk and couldn't keep it down...and there may have been a little pink mixed with the bile. Is there anything we can do on our own? The only thing we can come up with is to try to get a little vegetable oil in her throat to get whatever it is to slide out easier.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
No do not give oil if she is unable to swallow and or vomits this could go in to the lungs and that is very serious. If there is pink I am worried that this is already causing problem in the esophagus. There has to be someone tat does emergencies for the local vets. If any of them have a message when you call listen all the way through and most will give an emergency number.

There really is no safe way to remove this. I know that is not what you want to hear and I would really like to help but there is nothing we can do without medical intervention.

Can you give me your zip code and let me see if I can find someone for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She can swallow, but can't breathe very well. It's something small enough to get stuck in her wind pipe. We have no way to pay for an emergency vet visit. The closest place to go is Spokane, WA and we can't afford to get there. All the local vets say on their answering machines is " If you have a medical emergency, take your pet to Spokane.

What are the chances this will dislodge itself if stuck in her wind pipe?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I wish there was more I could do to help.

If you can feel a ridge then it is likely sideways and since a stick will not break down it is unlikely it will dislodge itself but I can not say for sure. I am really concerned that is she is not breathing well this could have a poor outcome.
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer