Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

We went out last week and left my shih tzu, lab, and caviler

We went out last week and left my shih tzu, lab, and caviler together as we always do. when we came home 4 1/2 hours later the Shi Tzu's eye was out and blood was all over... I rushed her to the animal hospital. they kept her overnight and put the eye back in and stitched it shut.... I am taking her to my vet on Monday.... Is there any chance that her vision will be ok? They had told me 50/50 chance but then wanted to remove the eye. This just makes me sick. She is 4 years old and has never had a problem. I think the lab played to rough and caused this.... I am just praying that it might be ok?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Bailey. There is a chance that she will recover and have vision in that eye. It all depends if the optic nerve at the back of the eye has been damaged enough to cause the eye to lose vision. Only time will tell. I have seen a lot of injuries like that and I have seen quite a few regain vision but also some did not. Even if she does not have vision in the eye you will likely not even notice. Dogs that are completely blind even do amazingly well. So losing vision in one eye will not be a handicap for her at all. Even if there is not vision in the eye it does not mean it will have to be removed as long as the eye physically remains healthy it can stay. Even if it is not functioning. that again will just take time to know if that can occur. Dogs are amazing animals so there is definitely a chance that her vision will be ok. I think of 50/50 chance is very fair and not out of line for this case. You have done everything right so far. unfortunately shih tzu's with the anatomy of their face are one of the most at risks breed and just playing rough can result in this as you have unfortunately experienced. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Margo,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead