Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My female had pups a year ago, my male had no problems, although

My female had pups a year ago, my male had no problems, although I only had him about 6 months. Now she is coming close to the end of her heat cycle , all he does is mount her head. She permits this than tries to mount him. Help
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like in an in person consult, I have a few questions...

Is he the same male from the last litter?

Has the female had a cytology to ensure she's at the right point in her cycle for breeding?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is the same male. She started spotting Aug 24 th. He has been after her head for over a week.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's actually possible that she's not at the right point in her heat cycle for breeding. Females are in heat for anywhere from 21-27 days, depending on the breed and age. It's definitely possible that she just hasn't reached the ideal time for breeding. The best way to pinpoint where she is in her cycle is to have the vet do a vaginal cytology..that's where they take a sample with a swab and look at it under the microscope. If the cells are cornified, then she's ready to be bred.

Since he had no problem breeding a bitch in the past, it's possible that the timing is just off.

That being said...if it turns out that the cytology says she's cornified, then you may want to look into artificial insemination. It's actually very common and if she's ready to be bred, you've done all the right steps already...separating them and even placing him in the right artificially impregnanting her may be an option.

I hope this helps.
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brody. How is everything going?