Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

kidney stones in a dog what type and what can I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX i am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as i can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear about the stones.

Dr. G :

Was a urine sample checked (urinalysis)? What type of crystals were found in the urine (struvite, oxalate, etc)? Do you know what the pH of the urine was?

Dr. G :

Also, does your dog have kidney stones or bladder stones (kidney stones are very very uncommon in dogs)?

Customer:

what can I do beside surgery she has been on special diet for 5 weeks and dog food prescription s/d canine dissolution vet said this did not help

Customer:

vet said he was not sure without sending sample to lab assume oxalate do not know ph vet said bladder stones

Customer:

are you there

Customer:

hello what do you recommend

Customer:

ok dr.g what are you doing

Customer:

when will you answer my question

Dr. G :

I apologize, I was having some trouble with my computer

Dr. G :

I had to switch to another

Dr. G :

As far as the breaking down of the stones is concerned: the diet does not work on certain stones, so typically diet is not changed until we have results from the urine sample

Dr. G :

The urine sample should always be sent out before doing any treatments

Dr. G :

Surgery is typically the best way to get rid of the stones. unfortunately there is nothing you can do at home if they are oxalate stones. If they are struvites, the diet can sometimes dissolve them, but that is not the case for oxalates

Customer:

ok what do you recommend . can I send a sample to lab

Dr. G :

One other option would be something called lithotripsy. This is done by a specialist (so you would need to go to a big specialty hospital). This is where they break down the stones with a laser. It is quite costly and sometimes needs to be done multiple times. What I would recommend first is taking a urine sample to the vet and have them send it out for a urinalysis. This will give information as to what stones are most likely there. I think in the long term, surgery is going to be needed to fix the current issue

Customer:

vet is not sure what type stones he wants to do surgery . I do not want to do that dog act normal does not seem to be sick. does not go to pee a lot

Dr. G :

I would have the urine sample checked first. If the stones are struvites, then you can try working with the diet. If there are other types present, then surgery is going to be needed. The problem with changing the diet without knowing is that you can create an environment that predisposes them to develop other types of stones. I would get the urine checked ASAP.

Dr. G :

are you able to get a sample sent out today?

Customer:

no thank you for the information

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian