Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Hi Dr. - my dog had his femur repaired on 7/19 after a car

Hi Dr. - my dog had his femur repaired on 7/19 after a car accident - on 8/2 he went back under to flush out an infection that came up as MRSA after the culture and sensitivities. He has been on Doxy since 8/6 and his 8 week post op xrays are on 9/13. My question is - the doxy will be stopped on that day as well - I have gotten various feedback from my various vets and some say "the doxy just supresses the infection" others "doxy cures infection" Which is it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

The culture that was sent out for Schnitzel, did it say it was sensitive to doxycycline (I assume it did which is why the vet chose doxy)?

Customer:

Hello Dr. G :)

Customer:

Yes the sensitivities showed up for Doxycycline and we've had really good results - but I am worried come next week as I am getting differing answers to my questions

Dr. G :

I see. The doxycycline will kill the bacteria. It won't just suppress the infection. It will essentially make the bacteria non-functional and the immune system will pick up those bacteria. So, in a sense it does "suppress" the infection, allowing the bacteria to be cleared by the body. This is different from some antibiotics that actually kill the bacteria on their own. I really would not be worried about there being "suppression" vs a cure. The antibiotics and the body will clear the infection. I have used doxycycline for MRSA and MRSP infections in dogs many times and it works very well at clearing up the infection

Customer:

So come Friday after X-Rays and taking him off the antibiotic, what should I look out for then? Last time S stopped using his leg completely and he had a fever, I know my dog well enough to know when something is up, and unfourtunately, because of the infection he is still not using the leg 100% now because he (according to surgeon) thinks that it still hurts or will hurt. We start PT on Monday and do water therapy with him, but the infection is what worries me most - as the surgeon stated that the infection was on the plate and the chances are good that the hardware will have to be removed because of it. In his case, there are just too many vets giving their input and its never the same....Thank you for the information - there isn't much out there in the way of google and such.

Customer:

in the cases you have seen - did the infection come back?

Dr. G :

You're very welcome. Unfortunately, that plate will have to come out if there was infection at the plate. Bone infections can sometimes take quite a while to clear up. He may need antibiotics for a longer time (4-6 months) depending on his progress. With cases of MRSP (dog MRSA), I have often had to treat for 2-4 months. That was mainly because I had compliance issues with many of my clients (they were not giving meds, or missing rechecks, etc). With good compliance, 8 weeks is often enough. If the plate is not removed, the infection will likely come back

Customer:

even if the infection was on top of the plate? not under touching the bone?

Dr. G :

the infection is in the bone right? it is not a skin infection, correct? If this is on the plate, it will get to the bone, period.

Customer:

no they did not say it was in the bone - the Surgeon said it was a "fluid pocket on top of the plate" ???

Customer:

And based on your answer - about him needing antibiotics for a longer time for bone infections - how come they would take him off at 6 weeks then - actually they wanted to take him off the doxy at 4 weeks but I pushed for 6 because of the post op xray

Dr. G :

If it is on top of the plate, it is affecting the bone. Antibiotics do not penetrate the plate, so if there is infection around the plate, it will spread. The plate will remain infected. If there is evidence of infection with the x-rays, then the antibiotics will need to be longer. They may have wanted to stop antibiotics at 4 weeks because there is a possibility it could clear the infection in 4 weeks. However, an infected plate typically will remain a source of infection until removed. I usually play it safe and give a longer course of antibiotics

Dr. G :

doxy is not cheap and that may be one reason for the proposed shorter course of antibiotics

Customer:

ok - so the infection will be able to be seen on the xray?

Customer:

if there is an infection present

Dr. G :

you will see changes on the x-ray consistent with infection

Customer:

ok, guess everything will be dependent on the Xray - thank you for your time and your answers to my questions. I appreciate the help.

Dr. G :

you are very welcome.

I wish you the best with Schnitzel. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great day!

Customer:

Thank you. You too!

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian