Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

I am not sure what to do. My 1 year old dog (great Pyrenees

I am not sure what to do. My 1 year old dog (great Pyrenees / Lab mix? [no one knows dad]); started being aggressive and picking fights towards my other 2 dogs two days ago. It isn't food, treat or toy related as I have narrowed that down with the help of our/her trainer. Tonight it just happened for no reason. Now, she is acting really strange. She is staring and scratching at the floor like there is something there but I don't see anything; not even a shadow. I literally have to pull her head away from whatever it is because she won't respond when I tell her to leave it. Now she is laying on the sofa next to me and she is so tired yet for some reason she isn't or can't sleep. She is stuffing her face into the sofa; which she has never done in her entire life; then she will jerk it up as if she got pinched. She has done this a few times already tonight. She looks at me when I pull her head up and her eyes are red and half closed almost as if she is fighting to stay awake. I am concerned and trying Not to be afraid right now. What can I do for her?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Serenity is having some trouble.

If you have not yet had a full exam by the vet including blood work that would be recommended. The bouts of sudden aggression and now the seeing thing that are not there followed by extreme lethargy can all be associated with Psychomotor/complex partial seizure. The fact that this has happened a few times tonight is concerning and if this is a form of seizure then she really should be seen by a vet tonight at your local animal emergency.

Seizures can develop due to many things such as
* Problems with the liver ( liver shunt)
* Diabetes
* Parasites
* Problems in the brain such as encephalitis
* Epilepsy

Click here for more on complex partial seizures( read the last paragraph)

Click here for more on causes of seizures

Unfortunately there is not much you can do for her at home other then isolating her and keeping an eye on her for the night. I would however suggest having her seen if possible. If this is seizures and it continues tonight it could lead to a seizure that does not stop, dangerous elevation and in the body temp and damage to the brain.

I hope she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I called my local emergency vet to apprise them of what is happening. Aside from the new aggression thing, they have had numerous pets come in within the last several hours acting the same way. We are having a bad storm with thunder which she barks at normally; but also lightening, which is completely new to her. They said it is anxiety from the storm.

Does that seem like a normal behavior to a storm?

Should I just see if she settles down and then take her to her vet when they open?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
needed to know and she was offline
Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
It appears Candy is offline.

The behaviors you speak of can indeed be seen in dogs that have thunderstorm phobia.
This is quite common in many of our larger breed dogs.

There are many different ways to try to treat something like this:

The first to try is something called Dog appeasing pheromone (DAP or Adaptil). This is a synthetic pheromone that can have a calming effect on dogs. It is available as a plug in diffuser that works very well. The diffuser typically works for one floor of an average sized house. This helps to reduce anxiety on a daily basis and can help with storms. The next thing is to try a Thundershirt. This is a tight fitting shirt that can make many dogs feel more secure about their surroundings. You can get either of those at a major pet store. The final thing to try would be anti-anxiety medications or sedation. The most common medications given are a tranquilizer called acepromazine or a medication called alprazolam (xanax). You will need to go to your vet for those medications.

I agree with Candy about heading to the vet. If this is something that continues or worsens, Serenity should get to a vet.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian