Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My Chocolate lab is 14 years old is extremely s.o.b on movement.She

My Chocolate lab is 14 years old is extremely s.o.b on movement.She also has athritis in her rear quarters and struggles to stand up and the last few days is off her food.
Is it time to make the gut wrenching decision to have her put to sleep?
I feel utterly devestated.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
I am very sorry you are at this point in making the decision as it is never an easy one to make. The fact that you have asked says how much you love your Tilley.

Although this is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer , generally for euthanasia we look to see if there are at least three things that the dog no longer enjoys doing that it once did and eating is one of the things we look at.

It sounds like you have given Tilley a fantastic life given her age.

It is a hard decision but in your heart you will make the right one.

So take a look at her life and see if she still gets excited over things she once really enjoyed and if she can still enjoy them.

I am going to direct you to a site to help you get through this if you need to talk with others that are going through the same thing.

If you need more help with this hit reply, if not once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going. If you feel you need help with a new problem please contact me via this link and ask your question. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/ Referrals to friends and family are welcomed and appreciated.

Pet Loss (the rainbow bridge)
www.petloss.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sally, sadly after visiting the vet on Tuesday I took the decision to have tilley put to sleep after speaking to the vet she had far too many issues with her health to sustain her within a happy pain free life though medications could have helped her athritis which she had already had anyway her breathing problems were the deciding factor. I decided that after 14 years of unquestionable love and loyalty from her I had to do the best I could for her and as upsetting as it was for me I would have been selfish to prolong her suffering I am absolutely devestated ive lost her but I picked her as a pup and I owed her to be there at the end tilley wasn't just a dog she was my friend and I will miss her terribly. Thank you for the advice I think you confirmed what I already knew in my heart Dean x

I am so sorry Dean. We do know when the time is right for the dog but it is very unselfish of you to actually let go which is by far the hardest thing to dog. I wish you much peace and happy memories of your Tilley.

This is sent as an info request so you are not prompted to rate. IF you need help in the future you can talk to me specifically by asking for me by name or going to my question box here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/