Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a brindle pit that is 3 years old and just recently

I have a brindle pit bull that is 3 years old and just recently her energy levels have gone way down. She has also developed very bad breath and has protein deposits on her nose. She was taken away from her mother to early and my vet said a problem could develop with an enzyme deficiency. I have also researched and found that humans who develop sudden bad breath could be diabetic I was wondering if this could be a problem with dogs also?
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Yes, if she has a change in her breath, and she is drinking a lot of water, then she could be diabetic. Diabetes, in dogs, is easily diagnosed with a blood and urine test. The treatment is a diet that has low releasing carbohydrates and high fiber. Insulin injections are often needed as well.
Other things that can cause an increase in water intake are kidney disease and adrenal gland disease. Both can be diagnosed with blood work.
If she is not spayed, a uterine infection can also cause an increase in water intake.
I have never heard of protein deposits on the nose of dogs. I have been a vet for over 15 years. If she is losing pigment on the black part of her nose, and her nose is scaly, then that is usually autoimmune disease where the body is attacking the skin cells on the nose. It can also affect the foot pads but sometimes just the nose is affected.
A gastrointestinal infection can also cause bad breath. That would have to be treated with a course of antibiotics.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks