Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hi...my 4 year old mini schnauzer sir bentley doesnt want

Customer Question

Hi...my 4 year old mini schnauzer sir bentley doesn't want to drink water.
i've been adding 1/2 c of water 2x daily into his meals which is homemade doggie chicken soup. he gets 1/4 c dry dog food at night. he eats all his food and is playful getting plenty of exercise. normally he drinks 2-3 cups of water a day. he's 14.5 lbs and just had a mini check up with booster in
july. any help is appreciated before his vet appointment on saturday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.
HiCustomer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX X've been working professional with dogs in the behavioral and health field for over 17 years now. It will be may pleasure to work with you. .I do need to ask a few questions. It will likely take me 30-45 minutes to type up a reply once I receive your replies. I hope you can be patient. .Does Sir Bently have any health issues that you are aware of?Does he ever cough or make a gagging noise?Does he ever stretch out his neck?What type collar does he wear? Has he worn a neck collar recently?Any jerking on a neck collar that you know of?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi.. he is healthy and very fit. yes he has been making gagging sounds so

i changed his collar to an all body. he stretches his whole body every am before we go out. yes, he was pulling a bit too much so, i did change to

the all body harness not too snug.

<p class="MsoNormal"Customer

.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. I suspect that your dog is having problems with a collapsing trachea or has an injury to the neck possibly from straining or pulling on a leash. Dogs with these issues tend to not want to drink water because it feels like they can not breath with the trachea being narrowed due to inflammation or collapsed.

.

I am glad you switched him to a harness rather than a neck collar. That should help prevent any additional damage. Adding water to the food is one way of ensuring he gets the water he needs each day. Another thing that sometimes helps is to use a water bottle such as guinea pigs use. The dog can lick the drops and does not have to lower their head down which might collapse the trachea. Another way to ensure he gets the fluids he needs is to give him pieces of ice that he can eat.

.

You can read about collapsing trachea here:

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Bentley got an A+ from Vet check up on Wed. 9/11. If you remember he wasn't drinking water only soup.
The Vet checked his neck for any collapse and it is fine. His spine, blood work, and stool are all good as well. The best part is after i cut down on the soup he's back to drinking his water.
He's playful and as hungry as ever. Thank-you for your assistance.

HI,
I'm so glad he is back to drinking water again. That is a definite plus. Thanks for letting me know the outcome. I do appreciate it.