Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Dark blood like fluid oozing from lump on dogs neck

Hello. My name isXXXXX I will be happy to help you. I will need you to answer a few questions, though, so I can better assess your specific situation.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this to your next message?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unable to send a phograph

No problem. I do have a few questions for you, though.

Where exactly on the neck is this lump?

Has the lump been there for a while and is just now oozing fluid?

Does the fluid have a bad odor?

Does the area seem painful?

What disinfectant are you cleaning it with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lump is under his ear near his jaw ,its been there a while the vet looked at it last year and she said that it was a syst and he didn't react when she felt it so I presumed it wasn't causing him any pain. I noticed a stain on his bedding and dark drops on the kitchen floor. I cleaned the area with savlon disenfectent which I had diluted with cooled boiled water, he didn't winch with pain, the fluid is darker than blood and seems watery. It has stopped now .

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the cyst ruptured and is draining that fluid out. It doesn't sound infected, but it can get that way. The cleaning may have helped that. If it is no longer draining, it may heal on its own or fill back up with fluid. At some point, it could become infected. I will usually put them on a short course of antibiotics regardless to try and keep it from being infected. In most cases, surgical removal of the cyst is the best way to approach it, so it doesn't happen again. I would have your vet check this out. It may need something like silver sulfadiazine ointment to help to stimulate healing as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.