Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi my baby dachshund is 9 weeks old, and he coughs when laying

Hi my baby dachshund is 9 weeks old, and he coughs when laying down, the cough was like a cough with a choking at the end. Then he would lay back down and sleep but he wakes up about 3 tiimes in the night doing the same thing. Yesterday morning he did hack up a dime size of mucus twice. And last night when he coughed it you could hear the mucus.

This has not stopped him from eating or playing with the other dachshund. What should I do and is he seriously sick? I bought him 3 weeks ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

In a pup this age the most likely cause for this type of cough is kennel cough.

In most cases this is viral and will resolve on its own , however many vets opt to place them on antibiotics to reduce the risks of secondary bacterial infection. If this is kennel cough there is always a risk that your other dog can get this as well even if vaccinated.

Intestinal worms can also cause coughing in pups so having him seen by the vet would be the best course of action.

Here is additional information on kennel cough

If you can not get in to the vet right away , Robitussin DM can be used in dogs( DM only) at a dose of 1/2 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 6 hours.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I gave my puppy the robittus DM and not sure if this is a allergic reaction but now it seems like he is breathing backwards, like when a baby cries and stops but like breaths like in when they are trying to stop crying. I am a little nervous but the animal hospital is far and his doctors office is closed. He is laying on my lap sleeping but the breathing is the same

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
How much Robitussin did you give? How much does he weigh?

What color are his gums?

Is the breathing noisy?

If you wake him up is he still breathing the same way?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

1/2 teaspoon not sure how much he weights, I would say about 5lbs.

His gums are pink

his breathing is quite, but it's like he snorts (breathes in), when he wakes up he is or walks around he is still breathing the same way.

The snorting is a lot calmer now, but still there.

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
Ok. If he is about 5lbs then he should have gotten 1/4 of a teaspoon so he got a double dose . I am not to worried as long as he is moving around and his gums are pink. If he was having trouble breathing he gums would be pale or blue in color.

This could be due to congestion, however though I have never seen a dog have an allergic reaction I can not say it is impossible. HIgh doses of Guaifenesin ( one of the ingredents in the Robitussin) can cause apneustic breathing which is deep gasping like breaths. This is normally pretty safe and has been tested up to 3 times the recommended dose but this could be whats going on.

Hopefully the breathing will continue to get better. I would not give anymore of the Robitussin just in case he is having an abnormal reaction.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, I agree. His nose is warm and dry is that alright with the reaction he is having. He is sleeping pretty calmly.

I really do think it was an abnormal reaction, because as soon as I gave it to him, the symptoms kicked in.

He is not lethargic or anything like that.

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
Ok as long as his gums stay pink and he is not lethargic then it just may be either an abnormal reaction or due to the double dose. Just keep an eye on him.

The dry/wet nose theory is really just an old wives tale and it does not really tell us anything about the general health so I am not worried about that.

If it seems to be calming ten he should be fine
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hi Diedra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ezekiel. How is everything going?

Candy