Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a 2 year old German Sheperd who is not eating and has

I have a 2 year old German Sheperd who is not eating and has diarrhea...it has started on Monday 9/2 and subsides I. The morning but comes back in the evening. He didn't eat on Monday, but he did eat Tuesday night. And today he's not eating, even his favorite meal which is chicken and rice...I'm rubbing his stomach to see if it causes him and pain but it doesn't seem to bother him at all...he doesn't drink too much water and when he does drink, he does it very cautiously and only a few sips...he has been excited to play like normal. He'll accept a few throws from the frisbe but then he'll go and lay down...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions about Wolfgang.

Is there any possibility that he could have gotten into something unusual?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food at all?

Have you noticed any drooling?

Have you noticed any blood in the diarrhea?

When he didn't eat that day, was it the whole 24 hours of a day, or only part of it?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We did give him raw hide for the first time on Monday...he does have a habit of getting food from the trash but he hasn't done that lately...once in a while I catch my parents feeding him table food without my consult....he has not been drooling and there is no blood in his stool...oh something else new that we have given him is raw beef ribs, and he did bit off a piece of cartilage that I was concerned about...his belly is soft to touch for the most part
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
When was the last time he got the beef ribs?

Has he been doing any vomiting or attempting to vomit with no success?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sunday was the last time he had a beef rib, and early Monday morning he threw up a little bit...it was yellow and looked like it had pieces of the raw hide in it...other than that no
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate all the information....I just have one more question....

If you press on his belly, does he act like it's uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh no problem, thank you for your help. No, he just lifts his leg for a belly rub as usual...
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Okay...thanks again for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I am a little concerned about the coincidental giving of the beef rib and then the digestive upset that started immediately after that. My worry, of course, is that he could have a partial obstruction from the bone.

When we give dogs bones, we worry that they're going to be too big or too bulky to pass through the digestive tract and will get caught up in a loop of bowel. This can cause a total back up of everything through the digestive tract and the dog can become incredibly sick, even to the point of being fatal.

However, there are also partial obstructions. This means the dog eats something the only partially blocks the digestive tract. The dog is still able to eat/drink without vomiting and may have loose stool and/or thin feces. Although they don't get as sick as a dog with a total obstruction, they do feel badly and act sick.

I think that the best thing to do at this point is to call your vet in the morning and have them take an x-ray just to make sure there's no obstruction and also run a fecal test, just in case this is a simple case of parasites (which would also present with loose stool and anorexia).

Hopefully it'll come back as parasites, or if there is a partial obstruction, they'll determine it's far enough through the digestive tract that they're going to give it time and see if it passes, but because he's been sick for a couple days, I don't think I'd wait for too much longer. I also don't think you need to rush him to the emergnecy vet tonight or anything..a quick phone call to your own vet in the morning will likely do the trick.

I hope this helps.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thank you so much! I will definitely be giving the vet a call!