Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my Australian shepard mix is about 7 months old. She has been

my Australian shepard mix is about 7 months old. She has been sleeing in a crate in the garage overnight as she harasses the cats. lately ive notice small red bumps on her abdomen and thought they were fire ant bites. today when I looked at her the bumps appear to b filled with pus and are spreading to her chest and legs. also some of the area looks crusty. bumps are not painful as far as I can tell because she doesn't seem to notice them. what could it be and how can I help her?

- Natalie
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you. The bumps you are seeing are actually a superficial bacterial skin infection. Being that she is still a puppy, a skin mite called Demodex is a possible underlying cause. She needs to be on antibiotics from your vet at the very least. They need to do a skin scraping to look for the mites and treat if needed for that as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Hi Natalie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Whitney. How is everything going?

Dr. Grizzaffi