Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 50 lb dog went to a pool party yesterday and ran non-stop

My 50 lb dog went to a pool party yesterday and ran non-stop on concrete. After I got home, I noticed him limping and noticed that the black rubbery paw pads on all four paws were peeling and detaching. There's no blood and it looks like healthy (yet red) paw pads are growing underneath. I'm thinking that he just ran way too much on rough concrete. Should I do anything aside from cage rest and some doggie pain meds?

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would agree that it sounds like he just over did it on the concrete. This can lead to wearing down and sloughing of the pads.

You can use a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or SSD (silver sulfadiazine) to help them heal up a bit faster. I would also keep him cage rested for 1-2 weeks to help prevent him from making them worse.

If you can get some pain meds from your vet, like Rimadyl, that would also be nice. They should heal up nicely for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Doc. I'm not sure if you can see the pasted photo, but if so, you can see the redness between the pads -- as well as the missing pad. It's pretty much the same on all four paws. I'll try the cage rest and Rimadyl and see how it goes. Thanks.

No, unfortunately I can't see that image.

I know how these guys can look. We see it a lot after dogs get hit by cars as they'll burn off the pads on the pavement. It can look pretty ugly when the pads peel off. The good thing is that they heal up well, similar to losing a fingernail in people.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - just one final question that I neglected to mention at the start. He's been home all day and when I got home tonight to let him out, he didn't urinate. He hobbled around outside, but wanted to go back inside without doing any business. His last poop was 24 hrs ago, and last urinated about 10 hours ago. Is there a point when I should be concerned? Thanks.

I would just feed him normally and take him out a few minutes after. That should stimulate him to have a bowel movement and he should urinate then as well. It probably just hurts to posture to go to the bathroom so he's being reluctant.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I suspect that lifting his leg doesn't feel that good right now, so he might be holding it instead. Have a good night.