Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is about 5 years old. Over the previous 3 years he

My dog is about 5 years old. Over the previous 3 years he has been a great dog. Over about the last 3 months he has been tearing my house up. Tearing off door handles, ripping up carpet and woodwork. HELP

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem

Sally G. :

has anything changed in those three months? Any new family members, any new sounds in the neighborhood, fireworks, thunder etc.?

Customer:

Absolutely nothing has changed

Sally G. :

thank you. You say he is a mutt, do you have any idea what breeds he may be mixed with?

Customer:

the vet thinks lab and grayhound

Sally G. :

thank you,

Sally G. :

Does this happen when he is with you in the home or when you are not around him, such as when you go to work or shopping, or in another room, away from him somehow?

Sally G. :

Nittany, are you a Nittany Lion's fan?

Customer:

just when i go to work, or leave the house

Customer:

yes im from pennsylvania

Customer:

and when i come home, he wont come up to me and is shaking after hes done something wrong, but usually he runs right up to me

Sally G. :

thank you. I just moved from PA to Minnesota, big difference! It sounds like your dog may be suffering from separation anxiety. Usually we see this when there is a change in the home or routine but it can come on at any time. There are training steps to take for this and I will direct you to a site that will tell you how to handle it.

Sally G. :

You will also want to fit some daily training in there, particularly down stays as you go about your business throughout the home and around the home

Sally G. :

this will help he learn to stay by himself and build up self confidence

Customer:

thats what i thought, why would it start now? hes almost 6

Sally G. :

In Labs, sometime seizure activity can bring it on , not all seizures are rigid shaking limbs, some are focal and the lab is prone to seizure activity.

Sally G. :

this will have a dog become more clingy to the owner or the opposite will happen

Sally G. :

If it is seizure activity then the training may not work, but it is less expensive to try the training route first unless you actually see him have a full grand mal seizure

Customer:

ok, i haven't seen anything like that

Sally G. :

when it comes to training a positive method of training is best and you want to get long down stays so remember to give a release command

Sally G. :

hold on while I get you that separation anxiety site

Sally G. :

I might also try a dap diffuser in the home as this helps to calm dogs

Sally G. :

sorry that last R should not be there

Sally G. :

you may want to speak to your vet about the use of over the counter melatonin as if it is SA then this will help.

Sally G. :

you can also find it in a drug store but puritans pride has good deals

Customer:

ok ok

Sally G. :

I would try the above first, if there is no change your vet may want to give a prescription

Customer:

ok

Sally G. :

Is there anything else I can do for you today and if not have I satisfied your query?

Customer:

no,, thank u for your help