Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hey there - Lisa - I LIKE it!!! I was hesitant about asking

Hey there - Lisa - I LIKE it!!! I was hesitant about asking such a dumb question - but I am gonna do it anyway! Effie just will NOT come in at night. I have had 3-4 trainers and she listens fairly well now (at 4 yrs old) but if she is inb the back yard at night, unless she is dead tired, I have to chase her down with the slip lead and lasso her. Any advice - especially now is it getting cool at night - she is gonna get worse!!!! Thanks. How ya been?? Hope you had a nice summer!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hiya!!!!

That Effie....I swear, just when I think we have her figured out, it turns out she's got something up her furry little sleeve!!!

I forget...is your back yard fenced? I assume it is....what happens if you ignore her, take Ivan and go in the house? Will she follow you or will she decide she likes being in the back yard alone? (I suspect I already know the answer...).

My summer has been good..busy, but good!! I get to go on vacation next week to North Carolina...I'm SOOOOOO excited!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Vacation - GOOD for you . . . didn't get to go anywhere myself - other than to the beach for a day at a time (closest beach is Atlantic City = about 70 miles from Philly. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYway - NOPE - even if Ivan comes inside she will not come in until her hear is drooping. She would live outside if I would permit it!!!!

Yes - the backyard is fenced in and until she had her torn ACL, I used to tether her to one of the trees at night so I could catch her; but I am so apprehensive ever since she had the injury - so I won't tether either dog again.

Ivan gets a little stubborn too (although I was much more strict with him) & he listens 90% of the time. . . which is awesome for a Chow - - -but Effie is a hard head.

I guess I am just going to have to live with it.

Even my "mad voice" doesn't work with her. She is too used to me. My nephew stayed with me for a little while this summer & she would come inside for him - but NOT for ME.

BRAT!!

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
How about super yummy treats? Would she come in for a chunk of hot dog (or whatever she likes best) if that were the only time she got it??

She is a hard head....she's lucky she's cute!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I think it's gonna have to be filet or prime rib - but I will try. Sometimes I get her in saying we go for walk - but I hate to lie to her. However, now that it IS getting cooler at night, perhaps I won't have to fib. WE ALL HATE THE HEAT!!!!!

Thanks!! Enjoy your vacation!!

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Oh. My. Gosh!!! Look at the fuzzy dogs!!!!!!

I'm with you guys on the heat thing....there's a reason I live in MN!!!

Since she's always done this...I suspect that it's just going to be who she is...and lying to her isn't all that wrong...especially if you don't actually lie...tell her you're going for a walk...and then take her for a short one...around the block....maybe she'll decide that coming to you for a walk is the best thing ever!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification