Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 9 year old terrier mix always took food from my fingers,

My 9 year old terrier mix always took food from my fingers, but now he circles and ultimately waits for me to put it down. He sleeps with me and usually wakes me in the morning, but lately he's just doing his thing with toys. His enthusiastic greeting ritual has cooled off. Nothing has changed otherwise. His appetite is normal. It feels like he's disconnecting. Is that weird?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is Solovino on any medications?

Does he have any health issues you're aware of?

Has it been particularly different temps where you live than normal?

Have you noticed an increase in drinking or urinating?

Has anything changed in the house ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's been very hot here, close to 100 degrees. i am keeping walks down to 5 to 10 mins only if he really needs to go. (As always in this heat) I put a cool neckerchief on him for the walk. Indoors is comfortable with a/c.

He has been drinking more but I attribute it to heat. Urination a bit increased, but appetite is ok.

Not on meds. Does have discomfort with right hind leg every so often, and doc said he needs glucosamine. It didn't agree with him so I stopped.

Honestly, I live w my very gentle, elderly mom whose health is failing. But nothing has changed in a year. She adored him. She does not feed him.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it...I just have a couple more quesitons....

Does your boy now, or has he ever had tick exposure?

What state do you live in?

How long has he been acting strangely?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
California.
The "strangeness" only relates to his interactions with me. Everything else appears normal.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Thanks so much for the information. I really, really appreciate it.

It's hard to know for certain what is going on with your boy, but since the behavior seems to be related to you alone, I can't help but think that he may be picking up on something from you.

I know you mentioned that your mother lives with you and is in failing health...which, as someone who dealt with a similar situation not too long ago, I know is incredibly stressful and heart breaking. I wonder if he's not picking up on that.

Of course, because he's a middle aged boy, the best thing to do is to have your vet give him a complete once over...just to be on the safe side. Since you do live in CA, I would have them test him for tick borne disease and with the increase in water consumption, they may want to test his urine just to make sure he's not pre-diabetic. Odds are it's all going to come back clear, but it's always good to err on the side of caution.

When that's all been taken care of, then I suggest you try spending some one-on-one time with him, away from your mother. Taking him out for a walk, or taking him somewhere he enjoys going (with my dogs, it's Dairy Queen!!) after the day begins to cool off a little, where you can relax and just bond with him could be the best therapy for him.

Of course, I do understand that may not be feasible, so if you feel like this behavior could be related to anxiety he's picking up somewhere, there is an over-the-counter option to try: Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I suspect that a little alone time with you will get him back on the right track.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification