Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

my dog is taking heart worm pills, but his poops are still

my dog is taking heart worm pills, but his poops are still gooey

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear Stanley is having loose stool. How long has this been going on? When was his stool last checked by your vet? Is he on any other medications besides the heart worm medication?

Customer:

his poops have been this way for about a month. They never have been really solid. But, he is very active and healthy...I wonder if he has a spastic tummy or something.

Dr. G :

When was his stool last checked by your vet? Is he on any other medications besides the heart worm medication? Has he had any bloodwork done recently?

Customer:

He has had it checked within the last 9 months.

Customer:

I do beleave he gets bloodwork done on his visits to the vet

Dr. G :

I see. And has the blood/stool been checked since the problem began? Also what diet is he on and does he get any human food or does he eat things he shouldn't (toys, clothing, grass, sticks, etc)?

Customer:

he doesn't eat toys, sticks, etc.... I think he eats frogs from time to time and maybe rodents. I give him 1/2 hot dog every day.... I give him Adult dry dog good..purina

Dr. G :

I see. The diarrhea could be due to pretty much anything: hot dogs are a pretty common cause of loose stool, but eating frogs, intestinal parasites (not all are covered by heartworm medication), inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease, or any other condition that can cause inflammation. I would start with cutting out the hot dogs from the diet and making sure he is not eating anything outside. Those would be the two easiest things to do. The other thing you can do is add fiber to the diet. Usually I will recommend Metamucil powder. A dog his size should get two teaspoons every 12 hours for about 5 days, that should help clear up the diarrhea. If there is still no improvement, then he needs to be seen by the vet and may need some diagnostic work: stool sample check, +/- x-rays and/or bloodwork

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stanley's poops are really nice now. So, the metamucil powder did its magic. I am very happy with the results. You said give him the metamucil for about 5 days. Would it be ok to go maybe a month on the metamucil?. I do not think it would hurt him. It is just fiber.

It would be fine to continue. Some dogs may need this long term. I am glad to hear he is doing well!