Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

my retriever is dripping with saliva on her right side of the

my retriever is dripping with saliva on her right side of the mouth, i.e. that dark spot of the mouth, towards the end of mouth on the right side

she seems lethargic

does not have much appetite

thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

With drooling and lack of appetite, we usually want to rule out a tooth root infection as the most likely cause. Often this is hard to localize just looking at the crowns of the teeth. Sometimes there will be some redness to the gums, but to diagnose it we really need dental x-rays under anesthesia.

I would first want to make sure there is no foreign material in the mouth. Look at all the teeth and on the roof of her mouth. Sometimes we'll see pieces of stick stuck on the roof of the mouth or pieces of plastic or wood stuck around teeth. These can be removed if found.

If there is nothing in the mouth, then I would rinse it out with water in case it's a taste reaction. You can then try to feed some treats or canned food.

If still no improvement in the next couple hours, then I would get to your vet when they open for a good dental exam and x-rays.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Gary.

Thank you.

In case of infection (as likely, as I just did double checking the two items you noted), what's next?

Yes, there is a bit extra redness to the gum, only a localized small spot.

==>I double checked: no foreign material in the mouth.

==>Rinse the mouth and gave Chloe a piece of greenie; Chloe chewed it gladly.

==>this has been going on for a week or so.

Yeah if it's been going on for a few days and you see some redness, there's a bad tooth until proven otherwise. I'd call up your vet and schedule a dental exam and treatment. They'll likely end up removing the tooth or potentially doing a root canal if you want to save the tooth. She'll be feeling better in no time.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

You're welcome.